With a nearby International Airport and Train station in Da Nang, visit Hoi An now has becomes easier than ever. As a result, it’s easy to transfer to Hoi An from Da Nang within 30 km. Everything seems to get convenient in comparison with other cities in Vietnam due to most of the highlight attractions, bars, shops are easily accessible in Hoi An ancient town.
So where should you go if you have just arrived Hoi An ? To help you answer this question, in this post, you would know a bunch of tips on where to go around Hoi An such as how to visit My Son sanctuary, Golden hand Bridge, Da Nang beach and get the most of it (not via tour booking).
MY SON SANCTUARY
Was recognized as the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Vietnam in 1999 with Hoi An ancient town. My Son sanctuary becomes one of the must-see sites whilst traveling to Vietnam especially to Hoi An.
Located about 40 km away from Hoi An, The My Son temples are in a valley roughly 2 kilometres wide that is surrounded by two mountain ranges. My Son is possibly the archaeological site containing the most ancient history of all Indochina.
It has over 70 temples and slabs that bear historically important inscriptions in Sanskrit and Cham. A large majority of its architecture and history was unfortunately destroyed by US bombing during a single week of the Vietnam war.
- Entrance ticket is 150,000 VND ($ 6,5) per person (include electric car).
- Timing: open from 6:30 am – 5 pm everyday
- Definitely the best time to visit My Son is in the morning (8 am) as tour group may come and it gets extremely crowded.
- Bring extra water and sunblock as it gets seriously hot in the My Son sanctuary! There is also a little shop on site selling needed stuffs.
- Stay on marked path only due to the potential presence of landmines outside of this area.
The number 1 of course is to book a private car. It can be done easily from Hoi An Transfer services or from your hotel. It takes around an hour to get from Hoi An to My Son with the cost around $35 for half day trip.
Considering as another good way to see some of the beautiful countryside along the way, motorbike is a popular means of transport which could meet your expectation.
You can rent a motorbike in town if you hold an international driving license. Price is about 150,000 VND ($ 6,5) to 200,000 VND ($ 8,6).
To get to My son from Hoi An. you start from Hung Vuong street then go straight ahead along Highway #1 until you see My Son Sanctuary sign. Going with the motorbike takes you around 1,5 hours.
If not please hire a motorbike driver or order a GrabBike to transfer you to My Son. Grabbike is ranging from 160,000 VND ($ 6,9) depends on your pick-up point.
Recently there is no local bus from Hoi An which takes you to My Son. There is only a bus number 6 starts from Da Nang takes you to Phu Da, about 8 km away from My Son, after that you need to take the next transfer to get to My Son.
From Da Nang:
- Length: 60 km
- The buses run from 05:30-17:30, every 20 minutes
- Ticket: 8000 VND ($ 0,3) to 30,000 VND ($ 1,3) based on pick-up point.
Route: Da Nang central bus station – Dien Bien Phu- Le Duan- Hoang Hoa Tham – Ham Nghi – Le Dinh Ly – Nguyen Tri Phuong – Trung Nu Vuong – Duy Tan- Nui Thanh – Cach Mang thang Tam – Hoa Cam – Highway 1A – Phu Da.
GOLDEN HAND BRIDGE
The Golden Hand Bridge also known as Cầu Vàng, is located 65 km northwest of Hoi An, became viral across the world not long after it’s first open in 2018.
The bridge is designed to connect the cable car station with the gardens and to provide a scenic overlook and tourist attraction. The bridge loops nearly back around to itself, and has two giant stone hands designed to appear to support the structure.
- Golden Hand Bridge ranked among top 100 World’s Greatest Places in 2018 by the US’s Time magazine.
- Golden Hand Bridge also has been named to The Guardian’s list of most striking pedestrian bridges and The Independent’s top 10 most incredible bridges
- Opening hour: 7:30 am – 9:30 pm everyday.
- Ticket: 750,000 VND ($ 33) per adult. Kid from 1 m ~1,4 m is 600,000 VND ($ 26) per person.
- There will be a long line at the counter so if you don’t want to queue, buy tickets online at Banahills
- As a tourist attractions, it get extremely crowded after 9 am, please manage your time to have the best experience whilst visiting.
PRIVATE CAR/ TAXI
Due to the distance is about 65 km away from Hoi An, the price is ranging from $45 for a return trip depends on what size the car is needed and the drive takes approximately 2 hours each way.
Book a private car with Hoi An transfer is highly recommend.
Here are the reference price list:
|Transport||4 seats||7 seats||16 seats|
Pros: In comparison with private car or taxi, shuttle bus is so much cheaper as well as a comfortable option.
- The price is from 350,000 VND /person ($16). Free for kids under 1 m.
- Pick-up time: 8:00 am – 8:45 am at your hotel.
- Arrival time: 10:00 am – 10:30 am
Cons: You won’t have much time to visit Ba na hill as you arrive pretty late and time limit.
Please contact to your hotel receptionist to book and confirm shuttle bus to Da Nang.
If you are confident enough and seeking for the feeling of freedom, comfort and savings then this is your best and cheapest option for reaching the Golden Bridge. Enter the door to buy tickets to the cable car.
The general rental price is around 150,000 VND ($ 6,5) to 200,000 VND ($ 8,6) per day.
Please note that the distance is pretty far from Hoi An to Golden Bridge so you need to depart earlier the better (probably 6 am).
Note: Always search for “Ba Na Cable Car Service Parking Lot” if you’re using Google Map to get there due to it normally shows direction to the top of the mountain while finding the way and it’s incorrect.
This is the cheapest way amongst these options above but it takes quite long time and steps. It is probably not a good way if you have a tight schedule.
You first take a bus from Hoi An to Da Nang, see our guide on how to transfer between Da Nang – Hoi An
Then from Da Nang, take another bus to Ba Na. Buses from Da Nang center to Ba Na depart continuously during the day.
Ticket is 130,000 VND /person ($ 5,6)
Access Danang Green for online booking.
DA NANG BEACH (MY KHE BEACH)
With 74 km of coastline, Da Nang is definitely a perfect place if all what you care about are beaches. With smooth and sandy beaches running across the coast, Da Nang beach is voted as one of the six most attractive beaches on the planet by The Forbes.
Located about 25 km north from Hoi An, a short half day trip or one day trip to My Khe beach now is easy accessible with our guide as below:
- Da Nang beach is popular to Asian tourist and they will come when it get cooler as the sun is not as strong. If you want to enjoy your time when it’s quiet or not so many tourist, manage your time well to be there before 4 pm
- Lounges and beach chairs are available for rent for about 40,000 VND ($ 1,7) per day.
PRIVATE CAR/ TAXI
If fast and comfy seat is what you’re looking for then taking a private transport is totally suit you. It takes around 20 to 25 minutes from Hoi An to My Khe beach.
The price varies from 400,000 VND ($ 17) depends on what sizes the vehicle is and pick-up point (for taxi)
To take about 30 minutes ~ 40 minutes to get to My Khe beach. This way is much better as you could see everything while riding along the coast and stop somewhere for photos.
Please note that only drive motorbike if you have an international driving license, if not hire a motorbike drivers for your safety or book a GrabBike to transfer you. The cost starts from 100,000 VND ($ 4,3) each way.
Parking a motorbike costs from 2,000 to 4,000 VND.
As buses are running between 2 cities frequently every 30 minutes. Taking local bus is also a good option but it takes a bit longer than the other 2 ways mentioned above.
First you catch a bus from Hoi An bus station to Da Nang , then ask them to stop you right at the other side of Dragon Bridge at Vo Van Kiet street. From your drop-off point, keep walking straight to My Khe beach which is around 1,3 km away.